The 11th Annual Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) meeting was held in St. Louis, MO from March 4-6, 2012. The EHDI annual meeting has built a strong reputation for bringing together a wide variety of attendees including those who:
- Work in state EHDI programs;
- Assist in EHDI efforts on the federal level;
- Provide screening, diagnostic, and early intervention support at the state/local level to young children with hearing loss and their families;
- Champion medical home activities within each state;
- Are family members of children with hearing loss;
- Are deaf or hard-of-hearing adults who are helping to expand opportunities for young children with hearing loss;
- Are academicians (faculty and students) engaged in education or research related to EHDI.
The annual meeting combined lectures, panel discussions, and strategic planning to allow the opportunity to interact with colleagues in solving the problems and challenges encountered related to EHDI in daily practice and in policy and programmatic activities.
It provides a wonderful opportunity to become energized by new ideas, evaluate what the entities have been doing, re-connect with old friends and make new ones, discover resources that can help each entity achieve its own goals, and gain a better perspective about what is most important. The Federated States of Micronesia is among the many states, territories, and countries gathered for this extraordinary opportunity. Participants from FSM included the MCH/EHDI program manager, Health Planner, CSCHN Physician, ECSE Coordinator, and a parent representative.
A pre-session for the Pacific Rim EHDI programs participants was held on the 3rd of March, from 8:00a.m. to 4:00p.m. The pre-meeting was held for individuals’ involved in implementing EHDI programs in the Pacific Rim consisting of American Samoa, CNMI, FSM, Guam, Hawaii, Palau, and RMI. The purpose of the meeting was for participants to discuss how they can coordinate efforts and learn from each other’s accomplishments and challenges. As a result, each Pacific entity proudly presented their progresses and collectively shared common challenges toward achieving their EHDI goals.
Overall, the EHDI 2012 annual meeting is of so much value and FSM is humbled to be part of this year’s assembly. It is always interesting and remarkable experience to learn from our neighboring Pacific islands and US States and Territories.
For more information, please contact us at (691) 320-1055/8982 or FSM EHDI Program at (691) 320-2619.